Monday, May 10, 2010

Happiness is a Warm Burrito...

After long last, London gets its very own Chipotle!

I realize this is a bit of a ridiculous post. Chipotle seems common in the States, seemingly unworthy of excitement or a blog post. To a 20 year old college student, self-exiled to another continent, THIS IS A BIG FREAKING DEAL.

Food in London is good. REALLY REALLY GOOD. I have had some of the most brilliant Thai, Fish and Chips, Indian, and Doner Kebab while in Europe, but there are several things that England does not get right.

Here's the countdown of my top foodie peeves...

3) American snack food: There are 3 supermarkets within a mile radius of my dorm, and each has a specific purpose. It's impossible to find what I want at a single store--- each has a different salty/crunchy snack. Sainsbury's has typical crisps and biscuits, but all British style/flavor. Marks and Sparks (Marks and Spencers) is the only place where I can find tortilla chips and pretzels. Fancy-schmancy Waitrose, the farthest of the three, is the only place where I can find popcorn. For some reason, it's not that popular here. FAIL.

2) Pizza: Most Europeans I talk to don't understand the difference between American pizza and London pizza. To them, my description of the perfect slice sounds disgusting and unhealthy. London pizza seems weak and overly-proper. Pizza is supposed to be eaten with your hands, not with knife and fork. It's supposed to have an actual crust, hearty enough to support mounds of toppings and cheese. It's supposed to be molten hot, just coming out of the oven, not tepid and congealing. Pizza Express is all fine and good, but I really prefer Pizza Regina or greek-style from Sudbury Pizza. (yes, Mom, I know you say it stinks now, but I still remember when it was good!)

1) Mexican food: Why bother? British chefs do a lot of things right, but Mexican is rarely one of them. 6,000 seems to large a divide for cuisine to bridge, and nothing I've had here rivals Mexican food I've had in the states. Heck, I can make better Mexican food than some of the restaurants in London. Whether it's sit-down or assembly-line take away, London can't compete.

All this leads to my utter excitement about finally getting a Chipotle, not just in the city of London itself, but 3 blocks away from my dorm. I even found a short-cut that puts me right next to the restaurant!

Tonight was the opening, and the small branch was packed with Americans--- I'm pretty sure every yank in London converged on the restaurant. Rumors of imminent arrival have been swirling since the fall, and I've been anxiously awaiting the opening of this beloved institution.

It was well worth the wait, after 4 months without this little slice of home. Happiness is a warm burrito, especially when eaten with friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment