Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ich bin ein Berliner!

Germany has never been the vacation destination of my dreams. Italy, southern France, Greece, Morocco... Germany doesn't really fit on that list very well.

UNTIL NOW.

I have some good friends who LOVE Germany. LOVELOVELOVE Germany, so I decided to give it a go. Heck, I like learning about the Cold War and I like curry wurst, so why not?

BEST DECISION EVER!!!!! I love Germany now, too.

Berlin kicked off the first leg of Eurotrip 2010. We had 3 days/4 nights in the city before hopping off to our next destination. I'd say that we managed to see most, if not all, of the important memorials, museums, and landmarks of the city. From the Brandenburg Tor to Alexanderplatz, Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Cathedral to the East Side Gallery, Potsdamer Platz to Museuminsel, and everything in between.

My comrade-in-arms (Kurt, a friend from AU who is studying in the UK this semester) and I were based out of the East Berlin neighborhood of Prenzlauer Berg. The area is full of cool restaurants, including the Prater Beer Garden (the oldest in Berlin) and Konnopke's Imbiss, which is a tiny shack under the U-Bahn tracks that serves AMAZING currywurst. SERIOUSLY.

I learned a few german words and had some adventures with pronunciation. Ausgang, brötchen, and garten are random bits I picked up (they mean exit, bread roll, and garden respectively). It took me a while to realize that ß replaces a double s--- I sound preeeeeetty stupid saying staße (pronounced strasse) with a B! It also took me a little while to realize that ö is pronounced like "er", so brötchen is pronounced "brertken". I really liked figuring out German, though--- I always want to study the language of the city I'm in. For a few weeks, I really wanted to study Danish--- no lie.

Anyway, photo proof to come! Took A LOT of pictures on my trip, so I'll be sure to throw some up on the good ol' blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment